Habitat U covers a number of different topics that are key to being a responsible, successful homeowner.
These classes are free for everyone and are offered in-person in Orlando and Osceola County and virtually.
Each homebuyer applicant is required to complete this series of 11 prospective homeowner classes (2 credits each) plus the HUD-approved First-time Homebuyers Workshop (8 credits).
Classes will be repeated once a quarter and locations/format may vary every quarter. Learn more about the classes below.
|Financial Literacy: Budgeting||Home Maintenance 101|
|Financial Literacy: Credit||Home Maintenance 102|
|Financial Literacy: Savings||Home Insurance*|
|Closing docs/Predatory Lending||Disaster Preparedness|
|Foreclosure Prevention||Community Engagement (Civics)|
|Estate Planning||First-time Homebuyers Workshop (HUD approved)|
* Disaster Preparedness and Home Insurance are sometimes offered as a combined class. Future homeowners attending the combined class will receive credit for both.
Please contact Home@HabitatOrlandoOsceola.org with any questions.
Financial Literacy: Budgeting
Become a better saver, and learn how to budget.
Financial Literacy: Credit
Learn about credit – and how to understand a credit report – with this class.
Financial Literacy: Savings
Better understand how to save for big goals, like the downpayment on your future home.
Closing Documents and Predatory Lending
This Habitat U course helps you prepare for this final step in purchasing your home – and beyond.
Understand the alternatives to foreclosure and what resources are available for troubled homeowners.
This HabitatU class describes the basic concepts of Estate Planning and Planning for Incapacity.
Home Maintenance 101
Yes, you can! A guide to DIY. This home maintenance class will teach you the basics of caring for your Habitat home!
Home Maintenance 102
The advanced home maintenance class especially for Habitat homebuyers.
- Understand how much insurance you need and the cost of insurance.
- How to shop for insurance and understand the difference in insurance policies, what they cover, and how to file a claim
- Learn information needed before, during, and after disasters strike.
- How to prepare for disasters,
- tips from the local Office of Emergency Management
- Ensure that your home is protected and that you know what to do in the event of a disaster.
Community Engagement (Civics)
• Learn about our rights, duties, and responsibilities as a member of a state or a community.
• Learn to contribute to public processes & discussions of real issues.
• Learn civic practices such as voting, volunteering, jury service, and joining with others to improve society.
First-time Homebuyers Workshop (8 hours)
Ready to take the step into Homeownership? Join Habitat Orlando & Osceola, a HUD-approved housing counseling agency, for a FREE First-time Homebuyer Workshop where you will learn what it takes to become homebuyer ready!